MIDNIGHT IN THE TROPICS, 2017
February 11, 2017
6:00 PM – 11:00 PM
Johnson Center at Cleary University
THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR RELATIONSHIP
All our beneficiaries for Midnight in the Tropics base their work on building relationships with our local youth to give them the resources and mentoring they need to be successful in the choices they make.
THIS IS OUR WHY…
Midnight in the Tropics is the largest fundraiser for the Livingston Sunrise Rotary Club. Our focus is on the youth of our community. Our dedication is in both raising money and actively participating in the non-profits we support. We vote as a club to determine the beneficiaries of this fundraiser based on the work we see them doing in the community and our member’s involvement in donating time.
These non-profits build relationships that make a difference in lives. They mentor. They provide a place to stay. And they offer hope in the crazy world that we have today!
AND THESE ARE OUR BENEFICIARIES FOR 2017…
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Livingston County
Our Mission Our Vision
Our mission is to provide children facing adversity with strong and enduring, professionally supported one-to-one relationships that change their lives for the better, forever. Our vision is that all children achieve success in life.
The Search Institute, a national research firm, conducted a study examining the effect of Big Brothers Big Sisters mentoring on youth and found that, compared to their peers, Little Brothers and Little Sisters who met with their Bigs regularly were:
- 46% less likely to start using drugs 27% less likely to start drinking 52% less likely to skip a day of school
- 37% less likely to skip a class
- 1/3 less likely to hit someone
- More trusting of their parents/ guardians
- Less likely to lie
- Felt more supported and less criticized by their peers and friends
Last year we were able to impact 235 children through mentoring; changing their lives for the better – forever. The menu on the left side of this page will direct you to more information about us, what we do, and how we do it.
The power of Hope. The skills to Cope.
Reaching Higher is a non-profit organization that’s dedicated to helping young people live healthier, happier lives. Our character-building leadership training program inspires and prepares students to succeed and to reach their potential!
Our nine session program is designed to:
- Increase Self-Confidence and Self-Esteem
- Teach Goal Setting Strategies
- Strengthen Decision Making Abilities for School and Life
- Enhance Public Speaking and Interpersonal Communication Skills
- Learn Effective Stress and Coping Skills
The Connection Youth Services
To End Youth Homelessness and Build Positive Relationships between Youth, Their Families & The Community
Provides assistance to youth and families featuring:
- 24-hour crisis intervention and referral services for families and youth 11-21
- Safe emergency housing for youth ages 11-17
- Transition to Adult Living planning & housing for young people 16-20 years old
- Individual and family counseling
- Support groups for youth and parents
- Community education and outreach
Helping Youth Stay Safe
- Strengthening Families
- Assisting youth in developing self-confidence, personal responsibility and integrity, academic, social and physical skills, and the ability to make healthy choice
- Treatment with dignity and respect
- Providing accurate and useful information